How do I get a lawyer?

If you have been charged with a crime and are facing the potential of a jail sentence, you may apply for legal representation if you cannot afford to hire a lawyer. At the time of your first appearance before the Judge, let the Judge know that you would like an attorney to be appointed to represent you. 

If you are a parent and Child Protective Services or the Humboldt County Human Services Department have removed your children, placing them in the care and custody of Humboldt County, you may apply for the legal representation as well.  

Show All Answers

1. What is the difference between the Public Defender's Office and the Alternate Public Defender's Office?
2. Who does my attorney work for?
3. How can I find out who my attorney is and when I go to court?
4. What kind of cases does the Alternate Public Defender Office handle?
5. Can you help me with my divorce, landlord/tenant issues, or small claims case?
6. Can I fire my lawyer?
7. How do I get a lawyer?
8. Where are you located?
9. Is my lawyer really a lawyer?